When we think of summer fruits, watermelon is often at the top of the list. Watermelon is delicious and refreshing and it also has many health benefits.
Here are 5 health benefits of eating watermelon.
1. Helps You Hydrate - Drinking water is an important way to keep your body hydrated. However, eating foods that have a high water content can also help and watermelon is 92% water.
2. Contains Nutrients and Beneficial Plant Compounds
One cup (154 grams) of watermelon has:
Vitamin C an antioxidant that helps prevent cell damage from free radicals.
Carotenoids a plant compound that your body converts to vitamin A.
Lycopene an powerful antioxidant that has been linked to many health benefits.
Cucurbitacin E a plant compound with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
3. Watermelon May Lower Inflammation and Oxidative Stress
Inflammation has been associated with many chronic diseases. The antioxidants in watermelon may help lower inflammation and oxidative damage.
4. May Help Relieve Muscle Soreness
Citrulline, an amino acid in watermelon, may reduce muscle soreness.
5. Watermelon Can Help Maintain Healthy Skin and Hair
Two of the vitamins in watermelon, A and C are important for skin and hair health. Vitamin C helps your body make collagen which is a protein that keeps your skin supple and your hair strong. Vitamin A is also important for healthy skin as it helps create and repair skin cells.
Eating watermelon on its own is a wonderful way to enjoy summer’s fruits at the nutritional peak. For more ideas on how to include watermelon in your diet, click here. https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/g2883/watermelon-recipes/
Denise Boyd, BSc, Registered Holistic Nutritionist (RNH) with a specialization in Cognitive and Immune Support.